Thursday, July 12, 2007

Windows Vista

So my new laptop that I bought in April shipped with Windows Vista.
After trying Vista for a day or two I came to the conclusion that it sucked.

I had serious problems with simple tasks like playing video files or listening to music with Windows Media Player. Although I did like the enhanced windows explorer and many other improvements. I wasn't really happy that I couldnt view a DVD with my new computer. So at that time it was back to XP (and that was a pain, finding all the drivers and shit, but it's a different story).

I've been happy with XP for the past months, but I had some spare time today and a recently bought external USB HD so I decided to re-install Vista to play with it a bit. I made a new partion for it, as I certainly wasnt ready to give up my XP yet. Partioning my HD and installing all went smoothly and now my computer can dual-boot XP and Vista (bit silly huh...).

So it seems vista has improved since I last tried it, Windows Media Played doesnt bring my laptop down with it's "visualizer" and I can even play movies....

The memory and CPU usage is still crazy though...even when idle. I do have a brand new processor and 1G of RAM, but only crappy integrated graphics, so that might be what's behind it all, since Vista is so Visual. (1G of RAM sounded like alot 4 years ago when I got my first computer, but come to think of it, it's probably the recommended minimum for Vista).


And then...what happens.

Everything seemed to be going smoothly and I was starting to get some Add-ons for my firefox and boom, without a warning. I get a crash, like someone had just detonated a bomb inside that baby.


Posted by Picasa



EDIT:

I take my words back, Vista still can't play movie files (.avi Xvid) decently, hard to say if the problem is with my hardware or with vista, but it really is unforgivable, since my hardware came bundled with Vista.

So be it either Fujitsu-Siemens or Windows whose fault this is, it's really pathetic a modern computer that can't play video files without choking (even mobile phones can do it these days). I ca'nt believe microsoft has shipped a new OS that doesn't even perform as well as the previous one. Well thank god I have XP. I will keep vista on a seperate partition for playing with. A service pack will also apparently be released soon, so maybe then...

2 comments:

kohsaku said...

Isn't it better for you to call customer sevice of either Windows or Toshiba to deal with the problem?

kasi said...

Why Toshiba? It's a fujitsu-siemens.

Would they give me money? Maybe then it would be worth calling.

Yeah I should try it and see what happens.