Sunday, October 07, 2007

Kamakura - Yuigahama

Went to 由比ヶ浜 in Kamakura. Kamakura has alot of great old temples and a huge statue of Buddha, but forget the dusty temples. I wanted to see the pacific ocean!

This was actually the first time I saw surfing live. And surfers. And there were alot of them. Probably around 100 hundred. Japanese people don't swim during this season anymore. So every other person on the decently crowded beach was a surfer. Even though the sea is as warm as the sea in Finland during the summer, the reason not to swim seems to be Jellyfishes. I don't really know what a jellyfish is and why it would hurt you. Maybe I should see Wikipedia? Anyways I didn't see any jellyfishes. But the Japanese indeed didnt go into the sea without a wetsuit. Only people I saw in the sea with normal swimsuits were a few foreigners and a few kids. I took my friends warnings of jellyfishes carefully and didnt go swimming, although I really would've wanted (another thing was that i was alone so my luggage wasn't exactly safe).

Anyways walking by the beach and looking at the surfers was fun. Really made me want to try it. I suppose the season is going to end soon too. A wetsuit would be needed, and a board. Some people were using kind of easy boards, you don't have to climb to stand on to. That would work for starters. Probably rental is also available. Then there is my friend Hiromichi, who's hobby is surfing. Just can't seem to reach him.





Surfers (in the upper right corner, the surf dog, on the bottom right corner a girl I wish could teach me how to surf :)



Beach to the west


Beach to the east

Im pretty sure it's trying to tell not to throw away cigarettes, but I don't really get the explanation



This is how you transport a surfboard on a bicycle (notice the hooks)


And lastly a video showing the magnificent waves and some surfing action.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

鵠沼(Kugenuma) is actually a better place for surfing. I went there on Saturday, and the waves were great. On Sunday waves were not so good, probably because of the wind. But it was sunny though. Today waves appear to be crap. I check wave condition on the web, http://www.umigasuki.com and http://www.angelfire.com/sports/surfjapan/index.html

kasi said...

I just checked and Kugenuma is actually closer to me than Yuigahama! I will try to go there next time! I really want to try surfing, but don't really know anything about it. I wonder if rental is possible...first I'd need to take a lesson to learn it though---

Anonymous said...

There are rental shops in Kugenuma, just as they are in Kamakura. Find this one -- http://www.t-sticksurf.com/, and then you find several other surfshops; they are all clustered at a single spot. Now the ocean is cold, you will need a wetsuit. If you wear one, make sure you also wear some sort of underware (for swimming), otherwise your groin will be itching afterwards!

Also, ask for the sponge board, many shops have those. sponge board is what a beginner needs.

some shops do offer lessons, i think t-stick does.

Any ways, have fun and be careful!