Tuesday, August 14, 2007

University Rankings


University rankings are always something to talk about. Tokyo Institute of Technology (TIT) where I'm going to exchange got into place no. 99 (99 is also the name of a great song by Tak Matsumoto ;) ).

In Japan TIT is thus Uni no. 6 and loses to of course Tokyo (20) and Kyoto(22) universities, but also to suspicious places like Osaka (67), Tohoku (76) and Nagoya (94) Universities. Oh boy I'm not impressed.

Finlands top is of course Helsinki University at no. 73 between the UK Sheffield University and USA Arizona University :P
My own beloved Helsinki Uni. of Tech. is somewhere in the last hundred 400-500 (Waseda is almost as bad) I don't even care, I know my uni sucks.

This study was made by a Shanghainese University and it ranks top 500 universities based mostly on quality of research and also things like Nobel prices (finland has ever got only a few), considering that Finland doesn't have so much funds for research we do pretty well it seems.

source

2 comments:

Hiromasa said...

Personally I'd rank Tohoku, Nagoya, and Tokyo, in that order, if I was to choose where to go, in my field.

kasi said...

;( you would definitely not go to 東工大?